With the status of the world economy at the moment, everything seems to be increasing. Prices of food and other necessities rose, along with the price of gas and even luxury. However, one need indisputable is increasing electricity.
Many times you must have been shocked by the electricity bill you receive. It’s time you took some simple steps to reduce the electricity bills and avoid the shocks. Here are some ‘energy saving tips to reduce the electricity bill’ (Also known as ‘เคล็ดลับการประหยัดพลังงานเพื่อลดค่าไฟฟ้า’ in the Thai language).
- Use CFLs – compact fluorescent lights – as opposed to incandescent lamps. CFLs are 75% more energy efficient and last up to ten times longer than incandescent bulbs.
- Use energy-saving equipment. In summer, try to dry your clothes outside on the line, and do not use the “heated dry” option on your dishwasher. Wash your clothes in cold water, you can buy clothes detergent that is specifically formulated to clean your clothes in cold water.
- Install a low-flow shower head – this will reduce the amount of hot water you use. At the same time, try to shorten the length of your shower. If you need to soak in hot water, consider having a shower.
- Check windows and doors for drafts. Sealing the space and a gap with caulking and weather stripping to prevent your precious heat from escaping.
- Replace your current thermostat with a programmable digital thermostat. This will set your heat / cooling around times when you are home or having your home is heated or cooled before you get home.
- Have your duct cleaned regularly, your furnace well maintained and change the filter on the furnace. This allows the furnace you (if you have one) to run more efficiently.
- The heating element which is the most expensive in certain areas – wood, oil or gas? For example, you might want to switch from furnace oil to gas fireplace if the gas is cheaper in your area.
- Consider installing solar panels. Although it may cost a little money at first, pay off tax rebates and savings in electricity/oil can pay off big in the long run.
We have to make some smart investments in the electricity bill by changing incandescent bulbs for compact fluorescent light bulbs. They are a huge power saving appliance and you will begin to see the good returns in the long run.